SCC - A Church Not For Everyone!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

FFCL3 notes on Authority

2 posters

Go down

Abusive Words

FFCL3 notes on Authority I_vote_lcap25%FFCL3 notes on Authority I_vote_rcap 25% 
[ 8 ]
FFCL3 notes on Authority I_vote_lcap16%FFCL3 notes on Authority I_vote_rcap 16% 
[ 5 ]
FFCL3 notes on Authority I_vote_lcap28%FFCL3 notes on Authority I_vote_rcap 28% 
[ 9 ]
FFCL3 notes on Authority I_vote_lcap31%FFCL3 notes on Authority I_vote_rcap 31% 
[ 10 ]
FFCL3 notes on Authority I_vote_lcap0%FFCL3 notes on Authority I_vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]

Total Votes : 32

FFCL3 notes on Authority Empty FFCL3 notes on Authority

Post  FreedMan 06/03/10, 01:42 am

The following is taken from the Foundations For Church Life 3 teaching notes, Lessons 1 & 2 titled "Understanding Authority".
These have not been altered, nor has anything been omitted - this is one complete section of 5 in these lessons. I find the section following the sentence "Note: there is a time and place for constructive criticism,....", to be quite interesting. If this is truly what the church believes (I'm led to think so because it is what it teaches), then how the leadership can justify publicly slandering specific people by name , people groups in general or even other christian denominations from the pulpit is beyond my comprehension. It certainly points to a double standard that I would state as "you sheep believe and obey this teaching - we leaders are above this and can use whatever means we deem suitable for the situation". I suppose hypocrisy would be a suitable term. Of course that's just my opinion......... Rolling Eyes

"III. HOW AUTHORITY WORKS – LESSONS FROM THE LIFE OF MOSES

Principle: To be in authority, you must be submitted to authority.

Remember: there is no authority except from God. For a person to be in authority, God has to authorize that person. God delegates His authority to those persons.

Ex. 3:1-10 – Moses’ call came from God
• God delegated authority to Moses to go to Egypt and become the spiritual leader of the nation of Israel.
• Moses went to Pharaoh as God’s representative because God authorized him.
• The children of Israel could only obey God by obeying His delegated authority, Moses.
• Moses retained his authority only as long as he remained accountable to the One who authorized Him.
- you become like the one over you to whom you are submitted.
- those truly submitted to you will become like you.
- it’s more important who you’re under than who you’re over.
Ex. 4:17-18, 29-31 – Moses was instructed to delegate authority to an associate: Aaron
• The people’s permission or approval was not required.
• Aaron accepts the appointment.
• Together, Moses and Aaron informed the people of God’s plan, (4:29-31).
• God confirmed His instructions with signs following (refer to 4:1-8 ).
• The people recognized Moses and Aaron as authorized by God.

Principle: Authority to lead comes from God;
power to lead comes from the people.

Principle: Authority flows in direct proportion
to obedience and submission to authority.

Now read Num. 12:1-10

Principle: When you touch God’s delegated authority, you touch God.
(“Touch” refers to rebellious attitudes, words, and actions that confront or challenge the office of leadership or the authority of leadership).

Miriam was influential. She was a prophetess (Ex. 15:20-21), and she was the leader’s older sister. She voiced concern over Moses’ marriage to a Cushite woman. However, Miriam’s words (verse 2) revealed the rebellion in her heart.
• she sought recognition she felt she had been denied.
• she attempted to usurp authority by equating herself with Moses.
• the rebellion in her heart is proven by God’s judgment.
• God does use additional delegated authorities, but He never permits anyone to usurp authority.

Note: There is a time and place for constructive criticism, but never for abusive words.

Ex. 22:28 – “Reviling” words are abusive, and they are rebellious.
• One who truly understands authority is never hard and harsh, but tender.
- firm but gentle, stern but tender, bold but compassionate
- driven by a desire to heal
- doesn’t self-promote, doesn’t want to control or dominate
- one who has met God’s authority recognizes his/her helplessness without Him.

• Rebellion brings with it a high price tag. Miriam is not mentioned again until the record of her death in Numbers 20, which was about 30 years later.
- rebellion demotes; lost ground is rarely recovered, even after repentance and forgiveness.
- what matters to God is not the issue in question, but the manner in which the issue is approached.
- Aaron and Miriam were older siblings of Moses. They may have had a legitimate concern regarding Moses’ foreign wife. But Moses’ wife was a cover for the rebellion they harboured.
- It wasn’t their place to correct Moses before the people."

I sat through many sermons that contained the elements I highlighted in red -all said under the pretense of passionately protecting the sheep by presenting their (the church leadership's) side of the story. Of course we were then told to not talk to the people involved, to get their side of the story, because they would poison us with lies and speak negatively about leadership because rebellious people speak harshly.......hmmmm....as one elder was quite fond of saying "if the shoe fits...."
FreedMan
FreedMan

Back to top Go down

FFCL3 notes on Authority Empty Twisted Scriptures

Post  setfree 06/03/10, 11:43 am

These scriptures are taken out of context and twisted to say things that they don't say. First they are Old Testiment so they apply to unregenerate people and DO NOT apply today. Secondly there was only one Moses for one specific mission and there will never be another. Thirdly he is NOT a type of the New Testament pastor, he was a mediator between God and man. Today Jesus is our mediaor, not Keith Johnson, Ken Schultz or any other man.

setfree

Back to top Go down