SCC - A Church Not For Everyone!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Christian Cults (originally posted by "setfree")

+2
inthelight
Admin
6 posters

Go down

Christian Cults (originally posted by "setfree") Empty Christian Cults (originally posted by "setfree")

Post  Admin 20/02/10, 12:08 am

A cult leader in the Christian context would be one who deflects devotion away from Christ and onto himself
A cult following then is those who give their devotion to the cult leader and not Christ (Lu 16:18)

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Christian Cults (originally posted by "setfree") Empty Good definition

Post  inthelight 20/02/10, 11:42 am

Thanks for this simplified definition. Many get defensive of the word 'cult' because they do not think a cult could be labelled to any type of Christian organization/institution. Whether or not people would define SCC as a cult is a personal choice of definition. I, personally, would definately call it that, as it does have many MANY cultish practices. Suspect
inthelight
inthelight

Back to top Go down

Christian Cults (originally posted by "setfree") Empty Thanks

Post  FreedMan 21/02/10, 10:05 pm

Thanks for the simple definition - it's way too easy to label scc a "cult". In preaching, Glory is given to God and I believe that is where hearts are at, but in practice the system, organisation, institution whatever you label it has evolved into one that serves itself and is concerned with self preservation above all else. It is authoritarian beyond acceptable limits and does have many cult practices.
FreedMan
FreedMan

Back to top Go down

Christian Cults (originally posted by "setfree") Empty Cult Characteristics

Post  FreedMan 21/02/10, 11:17 pm

Bob Larson, in his Book, Larson's Book Of Cults, Tyndale Press, 1983, Chapter 3 titled " A Sociological Perspective On Cults" gives some basic characteristics of cults:

"These are things that most cults share in common:
1) a centralized authority which tightly structures both philosophy and lifetsyle;
2)a 'we' versus 'they' complex, pitting the supposed superior insights of the group against a hostile outside culture;
3)a commitment for each member to intensively proselytize the unconverted;
4)an entrenched isolationism that divorces the devotee from the realities of the world at large.

In the beginning many such groups displayed sincere expressions of a humble desire to better society and follow God's will. At some point the founder's teachings were codified into an organized system of revelational authority. Allegiance to the founder's ideals became absolute prerequisites. What may have been one man's honest opinion was presented as having the weight of divine endorsement. If such a transformation takes place while the leader is still alive, he usually claims supernatural certification for his beliefs. What then develops is a 'type of institutional dogmatism and a pronounced intolerance for any postion but their own,' according to Dr. Walter Martin".*

* a quote from Dr. Walter Martin, author of "the Kingdom of the Cults", Bethany HOuse Publishers, 1965

Sounds all too familiar. They key to me is the statement that "many such groups displayed sincere expressions of a humble desire to better society and follow God's will". It explains to me how so many honest, sincere , intelligent people could follow for so long - the original intent was sincere but the expression became perverted over time.....

Last edited by FreedMan on 21/02/10, 11:24 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Wanted to clarify who Bob Larson was quoting in his text.)
FreedMan
FreedMan

Back to top Go down

Christian Cults (originally posted by "setfree") Empty becoming corrupted

Post  setfree 23/02/10, 12:11 am

They began with good intenions but used corrupt means to reach a justified end. In the process they corrupted themselves.

setfree

Back to top Go down

Christian Cults (originally posted by "setfree") Empty The cult of choice

Post  finally free 13/03/10, 06:17 am

I agree that the majority of the modern day church is on the verge if not already in the same state as SCC. I left a different organization here in the city but it had a lot of the same attributes. I do not believe that they intended to end up there but after so much praise and glory given to the leader the pride of self entered in and just like Eve in the Garden Satan tells them that God is holding out on them. That they can be a god and slowly Christ is pushed away from the center and is replaced with the organization as the central theme.Anything that puts man as a supreme leader is a cult in it's very nature. Why do you think Satan received the boot from heaven. He wanted to be worshiped instead of God.

finally free

Back to top Go down

Christian Cults (originally posted by "setfree") Empty Interesting

Post  2canoe 01/11/10, 01:50 pm

I am just asking but couldn't these circumstantial evidence be leveled at any church in the bible and make a good case for cultism. I really dont think that any one of us could stand against biased criticism and look good to everyone. I listened to Walter Martin (in person)I got the impression that spirit filled tongue talking Christians were part of the great whore church.
Here is what I believe. Love the Lord with your whole heart, Love your neighbor as yourself. Take responsibility for what you hear. walk in forgiveness. Dont be so sure you are right. Let others state their opinions.
I have created " I dont understand file", I have put a lot of junk in there. I never go back to that file. Life is good. I talk to the Lord and he talks to me. I support the work of God on this earth God has been very good to me. He owes me nothing I owe him everything yet He has my file stamped paid in Christ.
Hope this helps

2canoe

Back to top Go down

Christian Cults (originally posted by "setfree") Empty Re: Christian Cults (originally posted by "setfree")

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down